The World Needs More Wendy's


After a few days of camping in the rainy wilds of West Virginia the kids and I were heading home yesterday. We crossed over the New River Gorge Bridge and into the quirky little town Fayetteville. It was lunchtime and I asked the kids what they wanted. Predictable responses. My idea to "find a local place; someplace that we can only enjoy here" was met with some resistance. (Sometimes democracy is not the way to go.)  When I saw the Cathedral Café I was pretty sure that was the place.

After we seated ourselves, Wendy, the owner, greeted us with a, "How are you?"

I answered honestly: "One of us is great, one of us pretty good, and one of us is a bit grumpy."

She sat down in the open chair at our table, smiled, and said, "Let me see if I can guess which one is which."  She looked at Jacob and said that he looked like he was doing pretty good but maybe not "great" since he looked a little tired. She then looked at Lauren and said, "Are you the grumpy one?"  She said it in such a way that it made Lauren smile in this bashful way that is so damn cute because you can tell she is trying her hardest not to smile. She added, "I think I might know what will make you not grumpy. We make our own milkshakes here. You want one?"

Wendy then went on to describe all the flavors they had, including one made of sherbet that tastes like a popsicle.  Jacob chimed in and asked if he could get one too.  "Of course!"

Lauren went from Grumpy McGrumperpants to Little Miss Sunshine almost immediately, even before she got her shake. And then they raved about how much they loved the pizza and how tasty it was. (My shrimp quesadilla was amazingly tasty, too.)

I then watched Wendy work her café. She knew all the locals and greeted them by name. And she welcomed first-time visitors with the same warmth as she gave her regulars. When I was paying for our lunch I asked her about the big bookshelves. She explained that customers donate books and then if you want to buy one you donate whatever you want to the book donation jar (at least a quarter!) and she donates the book donation proceeds to the Humane Society and other local charities.

Well, why can't we all just be kind to each other like this and brighten each other's day? The world needs more Wendy's.