Writing A New Chapter

The Book of Life is made up of a series of chapters. Today is Faculty Reporting Day at USC, which means it is the first day of the Fall Semester for faculty. You know, the day we return from our long, leisurely sojourn at our summer cabins on Golden Pond (where's that promised sarcasm font when I need it?).

So, today is the start of a new chapter, not just because it marks a new academic year, but because of the significance of this year. The past chapter was full of a lot of changes (my divorce was finalized, for example) and this next one holds its own set of opportunities and challenges, namely, as it is the year I apply for tenure. Of course, you can't start completely tabula rasa with each new chapter because the contents of the previous chapters provide context to the next one, but you can make choices about its contents and tone.

"Solsbury Hill" is a song Peter Gabriel wrote when he was making a transition from one chapter (lead singer of Genesis) to a new one (a solo career). It is a very meaningful song to me about the transitions we make in life. How perfect is it that this live version of the song folds "Ode to Joy," from my favorite symphony, into the ending? Pretty perfect, methinks, because that's what I hope this next chapter has a lot of: Joy.


"I'll show them what the smile on my face meant..."